I really missing being able to go to garage sales and auctions lately. It's one of the joys of Spring, being able to get out there on the weekends and find treasures. Hopefully we can all get back to it soon.
Meanwhile, one of our local auction companies has switched to online auctions. It is not ideal, but I am still able to pick up a few pieces now and then. I picked up this bookcase a couple weeks ago.
It was clearly a home build with scrap wood. The pieces don't fit together well, the boards are warped and it had nails poking through everywhere. But it is so charming, I couldn't resist. It is also incredibly heavy.
I started by cleaning every crevice, removing the years and years of grime. I also removed all the nails that went astray and were poking out here and there. I replaced them with new nails that actually hit the intended board.
I wanted to paint it a cream color chalk paint, but I knew the original finish might bleed through so I coated it with Kilz primer.
I let that dry for a couple of days and then used Folk Art Sheepskin chalk paint.
It took two coats for complete coverage.
I used 60 grit sand paper overall to distress this piece and applied a coat of Varathane Crystal Clear Satin Polyurethane.
I was really pleased with the final piece. I love all the little cubbies to display vintage treasures. The cream color allows the pieces to pop.
I moved it into my new booth space. The booth is still a work in progress but it is coming together.
Below is an image to pin to Pinterest if you would like to save this idea!