Chicken Coop

I have a confession to make. We're all friends here, right? No judgement?


I have a chicken problem—and a rooster problem. It started in my kitchen, well, actually it began at an auction, but the chicken problem is in my kitchen.


So a few years ago, I found this advertising piece at an auction.

I bought it fully intending to sell it in my booth, but I really liked it so I leaned against the wall on top of a bookshelf that holds my cookbooks. There were a couple of small crocks on top of the bookshelf and a string holder. This just tucked right in there nicely.

Then I found this paper mâché chicken on a nest. I had never seen one, so I bought it and added it to the shelf.

Then came the tin litho chicken. It will actually lay an "egg" marble.



And then another marble egg laying chicken.

And then this. I mean, how could I pass that up? A boy and his rooster. Just a small oval print. Too cute.

It didn't stop. I found these chocolate molds.



More chick prints.

And I find rooster/chicken cookie cutters everywhere.

And this "chicken feed" bank last summer. Swoon.



One of the crocks and the string holder had been displaced and more and more chickens kept hatching, so it was time to purge or add space. So I added space.

The wall above the bookshelf had this reproduction Coca Cola chalkboard which I rarely use. It also had an original Coca Cola metal sign. I am getting rid of the chalkboard and keeping the sign, but will be moving it.



When I removed the chalkboard, I remembered I had put it there to cover this. I have never had a phone in the kitchen in this house. I had to figure out a way to cover it up when I put up my new shelf.

I found this shelf at Goodwill and knew it was the right width for the space.

At just 3.99, it was priced right.

I decided to paint it. I used Waverly chalk paint in the Cashew color. It took two coats to cover this.



I distressed it and coated it with Varathane Crystal Clear Satin Polyurethane.

My chicks and roosters have a new home now. I covered the phone hookup with the chick print.



I used teacher's putty to attach the cookie cutters to the wall rather than pounding another nail in the wall.



I admit it. It is way too much. I think it is very over crowded. I fully intend to weed out some of the ones I don't love. I am going to mull it over for a few days. I would like to get all the chicks I am keeping on the shelf so the top of the bookshelf can be reclaimed by my small crocks. Then I will abide by the one-in, one-out rule. Speaking of which, look what I just got...

A promotional advertising piece from Egg Baking Powder! This is staying. Now to decide what is going...


If you like my blog, please follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest! Just click on any of the social media links above! Thanks for following me on the junking journey!




Whether my junk is from a garage sale, estate or farm auction, flea market or the side of the road, I love to find it, fix it, clean it, sell it or keep it. So come along the backroads of Indiana with Junk is My Life (me), let's find something vintage and do something cool with it! Formerly Junk Journal.