Updated: Aug 3, 2020
I found these two very dated pieces of art at a thrift store. I knew they would be perfect for a makeover.
I painted the frames with Folk Art Chalk Paint in Sheepskin. I distressed the frames and clear coated them with polyurethane. The original images were printed on a heavy cardboard. I thought I could use the same material and paint over the artwork and then stencil it.
This is where I have to show that my plans do not work out every time. When I pulled the vinyl stencil off, it was clear that this was an epic fail.
Th vinyl had pulled off a layer of the cardboard and had pulled up the paint in several other areas. There was no saving this this particular material. So I cut masonite to fit the frames.
I painted the masonite with Rust-o-leum Charcoal Spray Paint.
I recut the art with my Silhouette Cameo 3 machine and reapplied the stencil.
I painted it with the Sheepskin color (same as the frame). Luckily, this time it worked perfectly.
I sanded it just a bit and then put a clear coat of matte polyurethane. I attached the masonite to the frame and it was finished.
I displayed both of them in a show this weekend. They both sold. Now I need to find some more frames!