Updated: Jun 30, 2020
I'll start by confessing that I don't live on a lake! I picked up a set of oars at an auction on Saturday. I knew I wanted to transform them.
I was trying dollar store shelf paper vinyl in my Silhouette Cameo. I don't think I had the settings right, but it cut the vinyl (and the backing).
The shelf paper didn't stick to the wood very well. I think it had more to do with the wood than the paper. It did work though!
I chose a nice sea blue to go with the faint yellow tinge of the oars.
I sanded it to distress the paint and smooth out the rest of the oar.
I added Rustoleum Matte Clear Coat. It preserved the patina of the wood while adding depth.
I usually buy these hangers to attach to my wood pieces. They are inexpensive, sturdy and easy to attach. I put one near the end of the handle and one at the base of the shaft. The paddle thins out and I wasn't sure it would have the depth to hold the screw.
This is the finished piece! This was a fairly easy piece. I think I had about an hour in the project overall. Now it is ready to welcome folks to the lake (as soon as someone buys it from me!).